Nationwide News

Man Wins $1.8 in Hospital Error Suit

A paraplegic man recently settled in the suit he filed against Valley Anesthesia, Dr. Susan K. Schmiege and St. Mary’s of Michigan, and was awarded $1.8 million in a hospital error suit.

The award is considered to be the largest of its kind to date in Saginaw County.

Claims Against Hospital

John Shivers was admitted to St. Mary’s in 2002, suffering from blood in his urine.

After undergoing a six-hour bladder operation, he reportedly began showing signs of weakness in his arms and hands.

Dr. Schmiege supposedly decided that immediate surgery wasn’t necessary to relieve the symptoms, which were indicating central cord syndrome, a disease that could lead to paralysis.

15 hours later, once Shivers had gone completely numb in his arms, doctors decided to perform surgery.

Error Results

As a result of the errors made by the hospital’s employees, Shivers now needs full-time care and receives on-going treatment for his kidney damage.

“He has to be fed, bathed, clothed and have all of his hygiene taken care of for him,” explains Shivers’ attorney, Karl J. Weyland, Jr.

(Source: The Saginaw News)

Have you or a loved one been the victim of a hospital error? If so, please contact us to schedule a FREE consultation with an experienced medical malpractice attorney who will enable you to receive the compensation you need and deserve.

Find Medical Malpractice News from Your State:

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | D.C. | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin
Wyoming | Puerto Rico

Enter your City, State, and Zip code to find Medical Malpractice Attorneys near you.