Wisconsin News

Nursing Error Results in $1.9 Million Settlement

A Wisconsin hospital has agreed to pay $1.9 million to settle a lawsuit filed on behalf of a teen girl who died during childbirth because of a nursing error.

Jasmine Gant, 16, went into convulsions after nurse Julie Thao mistakenly administered a strong intravenous pain medication instead of the penicillin prescribed by Gant’s doctor. She died an hour later on July 5, 2006 with her mother, Regina Young, by her side.

Gant’s son, Gregory, was delivered by Caesarean section after his mother died. Gregory, whose legal guardian is Young, is the primary beneficiary of the settlement. According to the agreement, the money will be put in a trust fund and he will receive monthly support payments, funds for college, and a lump sum payment at age 55.

Thao was placed on three years probation after pleading no contest to two misdemeanor counts of illegal administration of prescription medication. The state dropped its felony charge against Thao as a result of the plea bargain.

As part of her probation, Thao is prohibited from working in any critical care nursing units. Thao’s nursing license was also suspended for nine months.

(Source: The Capital Times, http://www.madison.com/tct/news/index.php?ntid=133933&ntpid=3)

Injured by a nursing mistake? Protect your legal rights by contacting an experienced medical malpractice attorney near you today.

Find Medical Malpractice News from Your State:

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | D.C. | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin
Wyoming | Puerto Rico

Enter your City, State, and Zip code to find Medical Malpractice Attorneys near you.